occupations
Instep
2005-02-25 17:22:27 UTC
Does anyone know what a gold stamper's job was? Was it to do with
hallmarking or gold leaf printing on books.

Ann
Saffy
2005-02-25 17:36:53 UTC
Post by Instep
Does anyone know what a gold stamper's job was? Was it to do with
hallmarking or gold leaf printing on books.
Ann
This was answered when you originally posted the question 2 days ago. If
you do a search on previous meassages you should be able to find it.

Saffy.
Instep
2005-02-26 16:56:36 UTC
Thanks to everyone who answered my query. Th reason it appeared twice, was
that it is not recorded on my list at all. I thought it had disappeared
into a black hole and therefore re-sent it. Just after the 1st request was
sent the computer went down so perhaps that was the trouble!

Ann
Saffy.
MB
2005-02-26 17:42:39 UTC
Post by Instep
Thanks to everyone who answered my query. Th reason it appeared twice, was
that it is not recorded on my list at all. I thought it had disappeared
into a black hole and therefore re-sent it. Just after the 1st request was
sent the computer went down so perhaps that was the trouble!
It could be because he seems to be using NTL and they have been having
serious problems this week according to the news reports.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/24/ntl_email_snafu/

MB
Andrew Sellon
2005-02-26 17:59:40 UTC
Ann -

Your explanation is entirely understandable to me, my computer having
executed exactly the same trick last week, only on that occasion the
message was not sent.

I wish the damned things were at least consistent in their failures.

Yours Aye Andrew Sellon
Eve McLaughlin
2005-02-25 18:15:30 UTC
In article <n9JTd.2401$***@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net>, Instep <***@nos
pam.instephols.co.uk> writes
Post by Instep
Does anyone know what a gold stamper's job was? Was it to do with
hallmarking or gold leaf printing on books.
This has been aswered, correctly, about a week ago - was it here or the
London list? Thissounds like exactly the same query repeated - by the
same person? If so, why?
--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society
Andrew Sellon
2005-02-25 18:32:47 UTC
Ann -

I am sure that this question has been answered over the last three or
four days. I suggest a rummage through recent posts.

Yours Aye Andrew Sellon
Ann
Hugh Watkins
2005-02-25 19:52:53 UTC
Post by Instep
Does anyone know what a gold stamper's job was? Was it to do with
hallmarking or gold leaf printing on books.
google took me to gold mining down under
Post by Instep
a machine used to crush gold-bearing rock into sand.
http://www.webtrails.co.nz/coromandel/coromandeltown/StamperBattery/index.cfm

it looks noisy

I don't have the context of your enquiry
stamping repetitive patterns on leather
or book bindings is certaily a possibility

Hugh W
Toni
2005-02-26 18:16:44 UTC
""Hugh Watkins"" wrote in message >
Post by Hugh Watkins
Post by Instep
a machine used to crush gold-bearing rock into sand.
http://www.webtrails.co.nz/coromandel/coromandeltown/StamperBattery/index.cfm
it looks noisy
Very! Thank you for the URL, Hugh. My husband reckons our stamp mill was
built c1860, due to how the maker's name appears on it. In a arch, rather
than straight across, which came later and no 'Ltd.' coming later still.
Was made by Issac MATHESON & Co., New Glasgow Nova Scotia. We bought the
mill from one branch the Horne family, near Waverley NS. The Horne brothers
were well known in Can. gold mining circles. Apparently it is rather
unusual to find the copper on the bed still in tact. Mill is also
operational, which hubby hopes to be able to have it do. There may be
restrictions or it may not be possible to run it, due to liability clauses
with insurance companies, when he opens his mining museum to the public. He
most certainly would have to limit access.

Issac MATHESON may also be connected to my father's mother's maternal line,
an added feature for us, when buying the mill four years ago.

Toni.
S***@aol.com
2005-02-25 19:51:37 UTC
***@server40.ukservers.net writes:

Does anyone know what a gold stamper's job was? Was it to do with
hallmarking or gold leaf printing on books.
A gold stamper, aka gold blocker or gold printer, prepared material e.g
leather, cloth, vellum, plush or paper, for book covers, etc. with size,
blocking
powder or glair, and after the gold leaf was applied, stamped in the design
with a hot metal stamp.
There was also a gold stamper in the pottery industry who stamped patterns
on ware with an india-rubber stamp damped with gold paint.

Regards Stan Mapstone
www.mapstone.org
Jeff
2005-02-25 19:58:00 UTC
Post by S***@aol.com
hallmarking or gold leaf printing on books.
To get a better idea of what kind of gold stamper yur man
was, look at surrounding area. For instance there are
several around the Farringdon are in 1881. This was an area
where there were many printshops so that definition suggests
itself.
Graham P Davis
2005-03-23 10:01:29 UTC
Post by Instep
Does anyone know what a gold stamper's job was? Was it to do with
hallmarking or gold leaf printing on books.
My mother worked as a gold-stamper in the Boot & Shoe industry for a
time. She used to stamp the name of the shoe manufacturer in the heel of
the shoe, using gold leaf.

After she died, I was asked for information for the death certificate
and gave "gold-stamper" as the occupation. On the same certificate, my
father's occupation, "clicker", might also cause some future confusion
for genealogists.

Graham
christopher lee
2005-03-23 10:09:58 UTC
Graham is dead on correct with regard to what a gold stamper does. Coming
from a long line of jewellers (5 generations) I agree that a gold stamper
was someone who worked in gold leaf reather than the hallmarking side of the
trade.

Chris Lee
Brisbane Australia