Ancestry DNA access
Charles Ellson
2024-02-16 22:20:35 UTC
Has anyone else noticed this? I turned OFF the 2 step verfication in
Ancestry and it no longer asks for it when I start. However, if I then
try to access my DNA screen it asking for 2 step verification again.
But what is puzzling is that it asks if I want to use Text or Email, I
selected text and it asked for my phone number!!!! This means anyone
who wants to hack my account can enter their own telephone number and
get the access code. Surely it should only send the code to the phone
number it has on record. Have I missed something somewhere?
GeoffI was quite frustrated when I heard of the two step. However I did it
once and have not had to do it again for DNA included.
It is my understanding that if I delete the Ancestry cookies I will have
to do it again.
I agree that asking for the telephone number to text the code for the
two step verification is counter to what they are trying to do.
Has anyone tried a "wrong" number to see what happens ?
john
2024-02-17 07:26:21 UTC
Has anyone else noticed this? I turned OFF the 2 step verfication in
Ancestry and it no longer asks for it when I start. However, if I then
try to access my DNA screen it asking for 2 step verification again.
But what is puzzling is that it asks if I want to use Text or Email, I
selected text and it asked for my phone number!!!! This means anyone
who wants to hack my account can enter their own telephone number and
get the access code. Surely it should only send the code to the phone
number it has on record. Have I missed something somewhere?
Geoff
If you go to your Ancestry Account Settings | Communications there is an
entry for the DNA activation phone number which was provided at the time
of the original test. Perhaps they use that number?

But once you have normal password access to the Ancestry account it
seems you can change that phone number (but only to a UK, Australia,
Canada or USA number)
Geoff
2024-02-17 09:47:45 UTC
[...]
On looking into it further, whether you enter a "wrong" number or the
correct one, they then ask for your password or will send it to the
email adrress which is on record. So they have covered it either way,
you already need to know the passsword or you won't see the email.