1881 census wind up? What a family
phil
2003-08-07 01:29:08 UTC
I found this whilst trawling for "Russians"..............LOL
phil

Dwelling: 16 Acacia Gardens
Census Place: Paddington, London, Middlesex, England
Source: FHL Film 1341004 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 0020 Folio 126
Page 48
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Robert GOODMAN M 52 M Maidstone, Kent, England
Rel: Head Handicap: Lunatic
Occ: International Playboy
Cecily GOODMAN M 97 F Maidstone, Kent, England
Rel: Wife
Occ: No Profession
Robert GOODMAN U 40 M Maidstone, Kent, England
Rel: Son
Occ: Ponce
James GOODMAN U 12 M Maidstone, Kent, England
Rel: Son
Occ: Scholar
Iain SMITH M 65 M Timbucktoo
Rel: Servant
Occ: Butler
Nelly SMITH M 65 F Nepal, India
Rel: Servant
Occ: Wife Dom Serv
Alfred GREEN U 40 M Rangpoor
Rel: Servant
Occ: Chauffur
Abraham WILKE U 25 M Afghanistan
Rel: Servant
Occ: Footman
John GORDON U 31 M Pakistan
Rel: Servant
Occ: Footman
David KING U 25 M Syria
Rel: Servant
Occ: Footman
William JOHNSTONE U 40 M Lisbon
Rel: Servant
Occ: Footman
Mary SMART U 20 F India
Rel: Servant
Occ: Ladys Maid
Lizzie JONES U 19 F Colombo
Rel: Servant
Occ: Ladys Maid
Jean ABRANOS U 17 F Penal Colony, Australia
Rel: Servant
Occ: Ladys Maid
Mary WILSON M 41 F Timbuctoo
Rel: Servant
Occ: Laundry Maid
Elizabeth KIMMETT U 30 F Timbuctoo
Rel: Servant
Occ: Kitchen Maid
Mary BENNETT U 25 F Timbuctoo
Rel: Servant
Occ: Kitchen Maid
Nellie DAVIS U 31 F Timbuctoo
Rel: Servant
Occ: Cook
Mary PINK U 28 F Timbuctoo
Rel: Servant
Occ: Nurse
June MELLOR OR MELLON U 18 F Persia
Rel: Servant
Occ: Governess
Margaret SIDNEY U 23 F Russia
Rel: Servant
Occ: Under Nurse
Peter GEORGE M 40 M Russia
Rel: Servant
Occ: Gardener
John KING U 31 M Russia
Rel: Servant
Occ: Asst Gardener
William PALMER U 15 M Nepal, India
Rel: Servant
Occ: Page
John GORDON U 14 M Nepal, India
Rel: Servant
Occ: Page
Phil Wood
2003-08-07 02:05:11 UTC
Which only goes to show how well the LDS checked the transcription!

This is the famous Pakistani entry - and now the quiz - when did Pakistan
become a country?

Phil
Occ: Page
Ron
2003-08-07 05:02:45 UTC
Post by Phil Wood
Post by phil
John GORDON U 31 M Pakistan
Rel: Servant
Which only goes to show how well the LDS checked the transcription!
http://www.nnwfhs.org.uk/publications/journals/D2.pdf
says this is actually in the enumerators book - supposedly written in around
1950/60
so not the transcription at fault - but the keeper of the book
Post by Phil Wood
This is the famous Pakistani entry - and now the quiz - when did Pakistan
become a country?
1947
In a 1933 pamphlet Choudhary Rahmat Ali, a Cambridge student, coined the
name Pakstan (later Pakistan), on behalf of those Muslims living in Punjab,
Afghan (North-West Frontier Province), Kashmir, Sind, and Balochistan.
Alternatively the name was said to mean "Land of the Pure."

By 1940, however, the Muslim League had resolved to seek the partitioning of
the subcontinent and the creation of a separate Muslim state-Pakistan.
During preindependence talks in 1946, therefore, the British government
found that the stand of the Muslim League on separation and that of the
Congress on the territorial unity of India were irreconcilable. The British
then decided on partition and on August 14, 1947, transferred power to
Pakistan. India gained its independence the next day. Pakistan came into
existence in two parts: West Pakistan, coextensive with the country's
present boundaries, and East Pakistan, now known as Bangladesh. The two were
separated by 1,600 km (1,000 mi) of Indian territory.
--
Ron Lankshear - Sydney Aust
(from Shepherds Bush & Chiswick)
suggestion
Barry Ruck
2003-08-07 06:56:58 UTC
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Phil Wood <***@myplace.org.uk> sharpened a
new quill and wrote ...
Post by Phil Wood
Which only goes to show how well the LDS checked the transcription!
I believe that you will find that this entry exists on all films / fiche
and was added to the end of a CEB by some long forgotten Civil Servant,
for reasons unknown.
Post by Phil Wood
This is the famous Pakistani entry - and now the quiz - when did Pakistan
become a country?
Phil
--
Regards,
Barry Ruck. Harlow, Essex. U.K.

Ruck,(Glos. & Lincs) Gostelow,Goddard & Eley (Lincs)
1881 Census, 1851 Devon/Norfolk/Warwick Census & British Vital Records Lookups
1851 2% sample and Gloucestershire Census lookups
email: look-***@peterswoodharlow.freeserve.co.uk
Andrew Venis
2003-08-07 11:56:48 UTC
<I believe that you will find that this entry exists on all films / fiche
and was added to the end of a CEB by some long forgotten Civil Servant,
for reasons unknown.>
A civil servant with a well developed sense of humour !?
It's things like this that make those long fruitless searches worthwhile ;-)
phil
My favourite one that I found looking for Parkers in 1851 was :

Husbands Occupation : Anything
Wifes Occupation : Nothing

Andrew Venis
Ingolstadt , Germany
Smithy
2003-08-08 03:40:57 UTC
Post by phil
I found this whilst trawling for "Russians"..............LOL
phil
Dwelling: 16 Acacia Gardens
Census Place: Paddington, London, Middlesex, England
Source: FHL Film 1341004 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 0020 Folio 126
Page 48
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Robert GOODMAN M 52 M Maidstone, Kent, England
Rel: Head Handicap: Lunatic
Occ: International Playboy
(snip)
Post by phil
Jean ABRANOS U 17 F Penal Colony, Australia
Rel: Servant
Occ: Ladys Maid
Out of curiosity I checked the LDS Australian Vital Records Index 1788-
1905 but found no mention of anyone called ABRANO. However, that is not
conclusive because not all States are included nor all years for the States
which are included.

BTW, Phil, you say you discovered this family whilst trawling for
"Russians". I assume you mean searching the LDS 1881 Census CDs? If so,
do you have special software for doing that?

Cheers

Roy
Dave Mayall
2003-08-08 06:14:16 UTC
Post by phil
Jean ABRANOS U 17 F Penal Colony, Australia
Rel: Servant
Occ: Ladys Maid
Out of curiosity I checked the LDS Australian Vital Records Index 1788-
1905 but found no mention of anyone called ABRANO. However, that is not
conclusive because not all States are included nor all years for the States
which are included.
You wouldn't find her, because it has already been established beyond
doubt that this is a fictitious family inserted into the CEB many
years later by somebody at the PRO.

The fact that one of the household was born in Pakistan, a country
which wouldn't exist for another 65 years, rather gives it away.
Dave Mayall
Lesley Walker
2003-08-10 05:02:21 UTC
<Dwelling: 8 Carlton Mews
Census Place: Fulham, London, Middlesex, England
Source: FHL Film 1341014 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 0065 Folio
18 Page
33
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Vingenzo FELICE M 50 M Naples, Italy
Rel: Head
Occ: Ice Cream Dealer
Alphonso FELICE M 30 F Naples, Italy
Rel: Wife
Occ: Organ Grinder (Music)>
So...........can we take it that an organ grinder was a necessary
accompaniment to an ice-cream seller and this is where the jangly
tunes from modern (?) ice-cream vans originated from? ;-)
I have a feeling there is some truth in that.

We can also take it that at least one census enumerator didn't know a
lot about Italian names (or else the wife was a drag queen!)
Alfonso is a masculine name.

Lesley Walker
Wellington, New Zealand
--
I can avoid being quoted by saying nothing,
and it seems to work fairly well.
news.software.readers news:***@yahoo.com
Data Junkie
2003-08-10 19:42:53 UTC
On 10 Aug 2003 17:02:21 +1200, Lesley Walker
I've read somewhere that a lot of the transcribing of PRs & censuses
over the years has been allocated to HM prisons, where volunteers
could earn a small wage for their services.
No wonder that a few comedians 'inside' decided to play a few jokes on
future generations.
David
The transcription of the 1881 census was done by volunteers, primarily
members of the various family history societies, co-coordinated by the
Federation of Family History Societies (in conjunction with the Genealogical
Society of Utah).

It was done while at liberty and not at Her Majesty's pleasure.

See HISTORY OF THE BRITISH 1881 CENSUS PROJECT
http://www.ffhs.org.uk/General/Projects/1881.htm

Data Junkie

Attempt the end, and never stand to doubt;
Nothing's so hard but search will find it out.
Robert Herrick (1591-1674)

---