was Take a Look at this
Di Maloney
2012-09-10 01:04:30 UTC
Could one or some of the 'experts/professionals/super genealogists' set up a
website for the new 'idiots' who have just begun their research and are not
yet 'experts/professionals/super genealogists' to use to help them with
their research.

I don't mean the FAQ websites, I mean a website that will put the new idiots
(read very new novices but eager idiots to get the correct information the
right way) on the right path to gathering information so that they don't
fall into the endless pit of idiots who don't really care where the
information comes from or how they retrieved it.
--
Di Maloney
Vic. Australia
Graeme Wall
2012-09-10 07:21:35 UTC
Post by Di Maloney
Could one or some of the 'experts/professionals/super genealogists' set up a
website for the new 'idiots' who have just begun their research and are not
yet 'experts/professionals/super genealogists' to use to help them with
their research.
I don't mean the FAQ websites, I mean a website that will put the new idiots
(read very new novices but eager idiots to get the correct information the
right way) on the right path to gathering information so that they don't
fall into the endless pit of idiots who don't really care where the
information comes from or how they retrieved it.
See Roy Stockdill's newbies guide.
--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at <http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail>
Tim Powys-Lybbe
2012-09-10 07:26:05 UTC
Post by Di Maloney
Could one or some of the 'experts/professionals/super genealogists'
set up a website for the new 'idiots' who have just begun their
research and are not yet 'experts/professionals/super genealogists' to
use to help them with their research.
I don't mean the FAQ websites, I mean a website that will put the new
idiots (read very new novices but eager idiots to get the correct
information the right way) on the right path to gathering information
so that they don't fall into the endless pit of idiots who don't
really care where the information comes from or how they retrieved it.
Try this: <http://www.sog.org.uk/education/intro.shtml> and get the free
leaflet:

"Top 10 Tips for starting Your Family History"

These are a good introduction so the question is what else is wanted to
achieve the above?
--
Tim Powys-Lybbe ***@powys.org
for a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/
Martin Brown
2012-09-10 11:11:14 UTC
Post by Di Maloney
Could one or some of the 'experts/professionals/super genealogists' set up a
website for the new 'idiots' who have just begun their research and are not
yet 'experts/professionals/super genealogists' to use to help them with
their research.
The general advice only to trust things that you have verified
personally from primary or direct copy material still holds good.

Ancestry offers this amazing one click find all your ancestors sales
pitch and imagine just how many Thomas Browns or John Smiths there are.

The backwards chain from known reliable information may be boring and
unexciting but it is far more reliable than jumping in and grabbing a
tree that seems to have some of your ancestors in it already.
Post by Di Maloney
I don't mean the FAQ websites, I mean a website that will put the new idiots
(read very new novices but eager idiots to get the correct information the
right way) on the right path to gathering information so that they don't
fall into the endless pit of idiots who don't really care where the
information comes from or how they retrieved it.
Back to 1837 you can use census and BMD records after that it becomes
progressively more difficult. With US transcribed material watch out for
MM/DD/YYYY vs DD/MM/YYYY ambiguities where DD,MM <= 12.

This is particularly insidious on IGI where the month name is presented
as text. IGI is great as an index into the original microfilms but never
trust anything on there that is a user submitted record. It was most
likely "Invented" data to avoid an illegitimate birth.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Sue
2012-09-10 11:51:31 UTC
Post by Di Maloney
Could one or some of the 'experts/professionals/super genealogists'
set up a website for the new 'idiots' who have just begun their
research and are not yet 'experts/professionals/super genealogists' to
use to help them with their research.
I don't mean the FAQ websites, I mean a website that will put the new
idiots (read very new novices but eager idiots to get the correct
information the right way) on the right path to gathering information
so that they don't fall into the endless pit of idiots who don't
really care where the information comes from or how they retrieved it.
IANAE, but there are quite a lot of reputable beginner's guides already
available out there in Webland.
Someone wanting a starting point for info on British genealogy could do
worse than the BBC site which has lots of clear, basic info and links to
other useful sites.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/trail/familyhistory/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/familyhistory/

Also, why not borrow one or two good up to date books from a local
library to read up on the subject at your leisure. Even small branch
libraries normally stock several on family tree research these days, and
if they don't - they ought, so ask them to get some in for you. :)
Di Maloney
2012-09-10 13:36:37 UTC
Thank you Graeme, Tim, Martin and Sue for your replies.

I have to confess that this was a very tongue in cheek request because of
all novices and beginners being referred to as 'idiots' in Graeme and Roy's
posts.

I certainly didn't consider myself an idiot when I was starting family
research 25 years ago and I do not believe that the "experts" were born
experts.

Everyone of us had to start somewhere and ask those silly questions and some
may fall for the Ancestry style of presentation of information, but they are
not all idiots.

I personally have found the people on this newsgroup/mailing list to be a
tremendous source of helpful advice but I am getting the feeling that unless
you are an 'expert', you shouldn't be researching your family history.

My rant is over and I ask that the 'experts' be kinder to the so called
newly addicted family researchers.

Di
Vic. Australia
Tickettyboo
2012-09-10 16:14:16 UTC
Post by Di Maloney
[...]
In most fields, an 'expert' is just an 'idiot' who has had time to
learn from their own mistakes.
As you say, everyone has to start somewhere and despite their
drawbacks, sites like ancestry and FMP are a wonderful resource.
--
Tickettyboo