ffeofes
Colm Hasson
2003-11-04 14:38:42 UTC
Can someone tell me what - ffeofes - and - alien enfeoff -mean in this
1654 text?

sonnes and heyrs to ........... Esqrs. ffeofes in trust for the use of
....... doe saie that .......... by an indented deed dated the first day of
November 1639, in consideracon of two hundread pounds sterlin to him in hand
payde, by the Claymnts ffathers, did give, grantt, bargaine and sell alien
enfeoff and confirme unto them theire heyrs and assignes foreever.

Colm
Mike Day
2003-11-04 14:54:51 UTC
Post by Colm Hasson
Can someone tell me what - ffeofes - and - alien enfeoff -mean in this
1654 text?
sonnes and heyrs to ........... Esqrs. ffeofes in trust for the use of
....... doe saie that .......... by an indented deed dated the first day of
November 1639, in consideracon of two hundread pounds sterlin to him in hand
payde, by the Claymnts ffathers, did give, grantt, bargaine and sell alien
enfeoff and confirme unto them theire heyrs and assignes foreever.
Colm
A feoff or fief is land held in return for feudal service or on condition of
military service.

The verb to feoff means to grant possession of a fief or property in land.

The feoffee is the person invested with the fief, the feoffer or feoffor is
the person who grants the fief, and a feoffment is the gift of a fief.

(All from Chambers Dictionary)

Mike
Don Aitken
2003-11-04 15:54:29 UTC
Post by Colm Hasson
payde, by the Claymnts ffathers, did give, grantt, bargaine and sell alien
enfeoff and confirme unto them theire heyrs and assignes foreever.
Colm
A feoff or fief is land held in return for feudal service or on condition of
military service.
The verb to feoff means to grant possession of a fief or property in land.
The feoffee is the person invested with the fief, the feoffer or feoffor is
the person who grants the fief, and a feoffment is the gift of a fief.
(All from Chambers Dictionary)
And a foeffee in trust is what we would now call a trustee. "Alien",
in this sense, is just another synonym of "grant, bargain and sell".
So this is a conveyance of the freehold to trustees for the party
whose name is given after "to the use of".
--
Don Aitken

Mail to the addresses given in the headers is no longer being
read. To mail me, substitute "clara.co.uk" for "freeuk.com".
cecilia
2003-11-04 21:07:49 UTC
Post by Colm Hasson
Can someone tell me what - ffeofes - and - alien enfeoff -mean in this
1654 text?
(Meaning dealt with by others.)

For avoidance of doubt:
in words starting ff-, read F- for ff-.
Eve McLaughlin
2003-11-04 23:20:52 UTC
Post by Colm Hasson
Can someone tell me what - ffeofes - and - alien enfeoff -mean in this
1654 text?
people who are holding in fee (directly and freehold in exchnge
originally for military service, later for other services) a property
for the benefit of another (which could be a chariutable trust for the
public good etc)
Post by Colm Hasson
sonnes and heyrs to ........... Esqrs. ffeofes in trust for the use of
....... doe saie that .......... by an indented deed dated the first day of
November 1639, in consideracon of two hundread pounds sterlin to him in hand
payde, by the Claymnts ffathers, did give, grantt, bargaine and sell alien
enfeoff
this is a collection of word which basically mean the same thing
bargaine - come to an agreement about the sale of a property
alien - to sell a property to someone else
enfeoff - to put someone in possession of property

no lawyer ever wrote one word when two, three, four .......etc would do,
since the larger the document the larger the fee for writing it
--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society
Tony Comer
2003-11-06 21:39:43 UTC
Eve McLaughlin <***@varneys.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:QZSyA5AURDq$***@varneys.demon.co.uk...

(large snip)
Post by Eve McLaughlin
no lawyer ever wrote one word when two, three, four .......etc would do,
since the larger the document the larger the fee for writing it
I've mentioned this before, in the context of will writing, but is there any
chance of some evidence for this?

Tony
--
Paciencia y barajar