OS Six-Inch Ireland 1st edition maps (1820s-1840s)
JMB99
2023-09-22 10:11:11 UTC
NLS

OS Six-Inch Ireland 1st edition maps (1820s-1840s)

We have added online 1,970 maps forming the Ordnance Survey of Ireland's
Six-Inch 1st edition series (surveyed 1829-1842). This is the earliest
comprehensive mapping of Ireland, showing good landscape detail.
Ordnance Survey began work in Ireland in 1824, working initially on
creating an accurate triangulation network. The surveying and
publication of map sheets generally proceeded from north to south.
Ordnance Survey mapped Ireland at the Six-Inch scale before Scotland,
England and Wales, and the maps show emerging practices for this series
in terms of features, placenames, heights, and engraving techniques.

https://maps.nls.uk/additions/
Ian Goddard
2023-09-22 12:59:57 UTC
Post by JMB99
NLS
OS Six-Inch Ireland 1st edition maps (1820s-1840s)
We have added online 1,970 maps forming the Ordnance Survey of Ireland's
Six-Inch 1st edition series (surveyed 1829-1842). This is the earliest
comprehensive mapping of Ireland, showing good landscape detail.
Ordnance Survey began work in Ireland in 1824, working initially on
creating an accurate triangulation network. The surveying and
publication of map sheets generally proceeded from north to south.
Ordnance Survey mapped Ireland at the Six-Inch scale before Scotland,
England and Wales, and the maps show emerging practices for this series
in terms of features, placenames, heights, and engraving techniques.
https://maps.nls.uk/additions/
A very long time ago I discovered we had some of these in a drawer in
our Botany Dept. lab in QUB. Further investigation showed they'd
belonged to the archaeologist Oliver Davies and had a lot of his field
annotations on them. I often wonder what happened to them. They'd have
been worth scanning in their own right.

I'm cross-posting to SGIreland as there may well be interest there.

Ian