[OT] Sr., Jr., III, IV ...
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2020-08-15 10:15:06 UTC
This is not really a question about British genealogy, as in Britain
suffixes like Jr. are far less common than in the USA. However, someone
here may know. There was a discussion recently in another group
(alt.usage.english) about how far the III, IV ... can go in practice. I
read somewhere that there was someone in an Austrian or German
aristocratic family whose suffix was XV. Any pointers to who that is?
I'm not thinking of Kings, Popes etc., for whom they can go as high as
XXIII, but of families in which the suffixes are actually treated as
part of the full name.

Actually it would quite convenient if they _were_ used more in British
families. My paternal great-great-greatgrandfather was Ambrose Bowden;
his father was Ambrose Bowden, whose father was Ambrose Bowden, whose
father was Ambrose Bowden. One can of course add one's own suffixes
when compiling family records, but I'm thinking of cases where the
people concerned use(d) them as part of their names.
athel
john
2020-08-15 11:00:54 UTC
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
[...]
There is an interesting discussion
https://ask.metafilter.com/254969/The-same-as-my-father-before-me-and-his-father-before-him-and
(or https://tinyurl.com/y3vyfb4f)
which includes Prince Heinrich LXVII is the son of Prince Heinrich LXII
and the father of Prince Heinrich XIV. "The House of Reuss practises an
unusual system of naming and numbering the male members of the family..."

Heinrich XXXIX Prinz Reuss zu Köstritz
http://www.thepeerage.com/p11135.htm#i111341
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2020-08-15 12:08:22 UTC
Post by john
[...]
Thanks. That's exactly the example I read about some months ago and
couldn't find again.
athel
cecilia
2020-08-16 15:43:16 UTC
On Sat, 15 Aug 2020 13:00:54 +0200, john
Post by john
There is an interesting discussion
https://ask.metafilter.com/254969/The-same-as-my-father-before-me-and-his-father-before-him-and
(or https://tinyurl.com/y3vyfb4f)
which includes Prince Heinrich LXVII is the son of Prince Heinrich LXII
and the father of Prince Heinrich XIV. "The House of Reuss practises an
unusual system of naming and numbering the male members of the family..."
That page links to an explanatory page.

Adding the appropriate section point:
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Principality_of_Reuss-Gera#/The_princely_house
Ian Goddard
2020-08-15 14:32:15 UTC
in Britain suffixes like Jr. are far less common than in the USA
It depends where you're looking. I've come across them, especially in
manorial records. What's not necessarily clear is whether you're
looking at a parental relationship, a wider family relationship such as
cousins, two people of more remote, if any, kinship who just happen to
have the same name or, in really pathological situations, siblings. I
started off assuming the first but now I'm more wary.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-08-16 13:49:16 UTC
Post by Ian Goddard
in Britain suffixes like Jr. are far less common than in the USA
It depends where you're looking. I've come across them, especially in
manorial records. What's not necessarily clear is whether you're
looking at a parental relationship, a wider family relationship such as
cousins, two people of more remote, if any, kinship who just happen to
have the same name or, in really pathological situations, siblings. I
started off assuming the first but now I'm more wary.
Yes, I've occasionally found it, but often in contexts where, as you
say, it's just that two people in the area have the same name (though of
course that often _is_ father and son); also, it's rarely clear whether
the person adding the suffix is even a member of the family, or just
someone adding it - possibly using it as the Latin comparative ("[the]
older" or "[the] younger") only.

Though less common than it once was, I get the impression that the USA
custom _is_ normally family-applied - even to the extent that the son is
sometimes referred to (and addressed) as Junior rather than his actual
name. (Seems to be only sons - I've not come across it for daughters,
though I daresay it occurs.) I've not encountered it, except in families
with US connections, in Britain - though I guess it probably does occur.

... unlike other legal systems the common law is permissive. We can do what we
like, unless it is specifically prohibited by law. We are not as rule-bound
and codified as other legal systems. - Helena Kennedy QC (Radio Times 14-20
July 2012).
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2020-08-18 17:45:12 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Ian Goddard
[...]
One well known example in the UK (well known if you know some organic
chemistry, anyway) is that of William Henry Perkin senior and William
Henry Perkin junior -- father and son, both very distinguished. I think
the usual abbreviations are sen. and jun., not Sr. and Jr., but now
that we're so much influenced by what the Americans do that's probably
changing (or changed).
athel
MB
2020-08-21 21:29:36 UTC
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
One well known example in the UK (well known if you know some organic
chemistry, anyway) is that of William Henry Perkin senior and William
Henry Perkin junior -- father and son, both very distinguished. I think
the usual abbreviations are sen. and jun., not Sr. and Jr., but now that
we're so much influenced by what the Americans do that's probably
changing (or changed).
I know there are examples in the UK but it tends to be amongst the
"upper classes". It is far more common in the US and more "ordinary"
people.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-08-22 02:01:13 UTC
Post by MB
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
One well known example in the UK (well known if you know some organic
chemistry, anyway) is that of William Henry Perkin senior and William
Henry Perkin junior -- father and son, both very distinguished. I
think the usual abbreviations are sen. and jun., not Sr. and Jr., but
now that we're so much influenced by what the Americans do that's
probably changing (or changed).
I know there are examples in the UK but it tends to be amongst the
"upper classes". It is far more common in the US and more "ordinary"
people.
Then there was the version used in (especially boarding) schools, major
and minor. I think this was used where two boys (don't know about
girls!) had the same surname, regardless of whether they were related or
not. (I don't know what happened when there were three: I have a vague
thought that they might have used minimus, but that might be my
imagination.) At the one I was at (boarding, but certainly not a posh
one! Popular with service families) - by the time I was there (1970s) at
least, I don't know if they'd used major/minor earlier - they just used
numbers, i. e. Jones I and Jones II (pronounced one and two, not the
first and second). I can't remember for sure if they even used Roman
numerals; I think by the time I left, they weren't, but it's a _long_
time ago ... (-:

I was never drawn to sport, to which I attribute my long life.
- Barry Humphries, RT 2016/1/9-15
John Armstrong
2020-08-22 07:56:32 UTC
On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 03:01:13 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Then there was the version used in (especially boarding) schools, major
and minor. I think this was used where two boys (don't know about
girls!) had the same surname, regardless of whether they were related or
not. (I don't know what happened when there were three: I have a vague
thought that they might have used minimus, but that might be my
imagination.)
It happened once while I was at a Scottish boarding school in the 60s.
Major, minor, and the youngest was "terts", short for "tertius", Latin
for "third".
Jenny M Benson
2020-08-22 09:57:25 UTC
Post by John Armstrong
It happened once while I was at a Scottish boarding school in the 60s.
Major, minor, and the youngest was "terts", short for "tertius", Latin
for "third".
An uncle-by-marriage of my mother's had a brother whose forenames were
John Middleton Tertius and he was known generally as Tertius. Their
father's forenames were John Middleton as I presume their grandfather's
were also.
--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-08-22 15:24:54 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by John Armstrong
It happened once while I was at a Scottish boarding school in the 60s.
Major, minor, and the youngest was "terts", short for "tertius", Latin
for "third".
Odd, as maior and minor don't mean first and second, but bigger and
smaller (which usually mapped OK, as the older boy usually _was_
bigger), and why I had a vague feeling minimus (smallest) might have
been used when there was a third.
Post by Jenny M Benson
An uncle-by-marriage of my mother's had a brother whose forenames were
John Middleton Tertius and he was known generally as Tertius. Their
father's forenames were John Middleton as I presume their grandfather's
were also.
Was he the third after a father and grandfather, or the third to the
same parents? (I have one ancestor* called Thirzen, who was the
thirteenth [surviving - fourteenth altogether I think] child, and I like
to think the parents were just too tired to think of another name for
her.
*not direct ascendant, a sibling of one [so a child of one]; is that
still an ancestor?)

There should be a place on the ballot paper for 'None of the above', and if
enough people filled that in, the system might start to change. - Jeremy
Paxman in RT, 2014/1/25-31
Charles Ellson
2020-08-22 23:55:14 UTC
On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 16:24:54 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Jenny M Benson
An uncle-by-marriage of my mother's had a brother whose forenames were
John Middleton Tertius and he was known generally as Tertius. Their
father's forenames were John Middleton as I presume their grandfather's
were also.
Was he the third after a father and grandfather, or the third to the
same parents? (I have one ancestor* called Thirzen, who was the
thirteenth [surviving - fourteenth altogether I think] child, and I like
to think the parents were just too tired to think of another name for
her.
*not direct ascendant, a sibling of one [so a child of one]; is that
still an ancestor?)
I have my great-uncle's father in law, Septimus Ryott. His elder
siblings all had "normal" names so it looks like they had run out of
choices by the time he arrived. He had a younger sister called Cenete.
Evertjan.
2020-08-23 10:35:45 UTC
Post by Charles Ellson
I have my great-uncle's father in law, Septimus Ryott. His elder
siblings all had "normal" names so it looks like they had run out of
choices by the time he arrived. He had a younger sister called Cenete.
The classic Romans often ran out of original choices after two children,
so Tertius and Tertia were as common as infanticide.

Moreover then and there, an adopted child usually had a higher status than a
natural one.
--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2020-08-23 14:09:17 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Jenny M Benson
An uncle-by-marriage of my mother's had a brother whose forenames were
John Middleton Tertius and he was known generally as Tertius. Their
father's forenames were John Middleton as I presume their grandfather's
were also.
Was he the third after a father and grandfather, or the third to the
same parents? (I have one ancestor* called Thirzen, who was the
thirteenth [surviving - fourteenth altogether I think] child, and I
like to think the parents were just too tired to think of another name
for her.
*not direct ascendant, a sibling of one [so a child of one]; is that
still an ancestor?)
A pair of my great[5] grandparents had 17 children, of whom the
youngest son was called Henry Septimus and the youngest daughter was
called Louise Decima. I don't know how they knew that there wouldn't be
any more.
athel
Charles Ellson
2020-08-23 17:31:04 UTC
On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 16:09:17 +0200, Athel Cornish-Bowden
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Jenny M Benson
[...]
If that was the 7th son and the 10th daughter then the numbers would
still match. I think I've seen one family in a census so far where
nearly all the children were numerically named; otherwise it seems to
be just the odd one or only the later children.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-08-23 21:25:34 UTC
On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 at 16:09:17, Athel Cornish-Bowden
<***@imm.cnrs.fr> wrote:
[]
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
A pair of my great[5] grandparents had 17 children, of whom the
youngest son was called Henry Septimus and the youngest daughter was
called Louise Decima. I don't know how they knew that there wouldn't be
any more.
Why would those names (I presume seventh son and tenth daughter, as that
makes 17) imply they knew there'd be no more?

Abandon hope, all ye who <ENTER> here.
cecilia
2020-08-22 15:36:36 UTC
On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 14:49:16 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Ian Goddard
in Britain suffixes like Jr. are far less common than in the USA
It depends where you're looking. I've come across them, especially in
manorial records. What's not necessarily clear is whether you're
looking at a parental relationship, a wider family relationship such as
cousins, two people of more remote, if any, kinship who just happen to
have the same name or, in really pathological situations, siblings. I
started off assuming the first but now I'm more wary.
Yes, I've occasionally found it, but often in contexts where, as you
say, it's just that two people in the area have the same name (though of
course that often _is_ father and son); also, it's rarely clear whether
the person adding the suffix is even a member of the family, or just
someone adding it - possibly using it as the Latin comparative ("[the]
older" or "[the] younger") only.
[...]
I've transcribed a 1639 will in which the testator (an ironmonger)
describes himself as
<name> thelder
the other local person with the same name in the area being the
younger of his two sons.
knuttle
2020-08-15 15:19:23 UTC
[...]
I am in the US and currently don't see that a lot.

However, I wish it were the practice to use social security numbers
instead on name. ;-) I have one family that have five consequative
generations of John George Hirsch. I have another family with seven
siblings named Mary; Mary Catharine, Mary Theresa, etc.
MB
2020-08-16 22:27:51 UTC
I asked a similar question somewhere else earlier this year.

I was transcribing a large war memorial at a former US airfield in the
UK. It struck me how many people there were with suffixes after their
surname when it quite rare in the UK.