domi baptizatus - meaning please
Lyn Nunn
2005-08-13 22:32:59 UTC
Could someone please translate for me what this means in a baptism register.
I haven't had any luck with Google.

Lyn
in Oz.
mollymac
2005-08-13 22:42:49 UTC
http://www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk/latin%20terminology.htm

This website suggests 'christened at home'.

Pam
in Oz.
Lyn Nunn
in Oz.
Steve Hayes
2005-08-14 03:49:45 UTC
Post by Lyn Nunn
Could someone please translate for me what this means in a baptism register.
I haven't had any luck with Google.
Baptised at home?
--
Steve Hayes
E-mail: ***@hotmail.com (see web page if it doesn't work)
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7783/
Michael Corby
2005-08-14 03:58:35 UTC
Post by Steve Hayes
Post by Lyn Nunn
Could someone please translate for me what this means in a baptism register.
I haven't had any luck with Google.
Baptised at home?
--
Steve Hayes
Web: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7734/stevesig.htm
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7783/
If a baby was born at home and appeared likely to only survive for a short
time, the priest would be called quickly to baptise the child before it
died. :-(

Mike.
cecilia
2005-08-14 08:20:59 UTC
[...]
Or the child might be baptised by someone present who knew what to do.
Steve Hayes
2005-08-14 16:57:33 UTC
Post by cecilia
Post by Michael Corby
[...]
If a baby was born at home and appeared likely to only survive for a short
time, the priest would be called quickly to baptise the child before it
died.
Or the child might be baptised by someone present who knew what to do.
So does that confirm the correctness of the translation?
Graeme Wall
2005-08-14 08:04:10 UTC
Post by Michael Corby
Post by Steve Hayes
Post by Lyn Nunn
Could someone please translate for me what this means in a baptism register.
I haven't had any luck with Google.
Baptised at home?
--
Steve Hayes
Web: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7734/stevesig.htm
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7783/
If a baby was born at home and appeared likely to only survive for a short
time, the priest would be called quickly to baptise the child before it
died. :-(
And if a priest was not available, anyone could baptise the child.
--
Graeme Wall

My genealogy website:
<http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/genealogy/index.html>
Steve Hayes
2005-08-14 16:57:31 UTC
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 11:58:35 +0800, "Michael Corby"
Post by Michael Corby
Post by Steve Hayes
Post by Lyn Nunn
Could someone please translate for me what this means in a baptism register.
I haven't had any luck with Google.
Baptised at home?
If a baby was born at home and appeared likely to only survive for a short
time, the priest would be called quickly to baptise the child before it
died. :-(
So are you confirming the correctness of my translation or what?
Don Aitken
2005-08-14 21:31:54 UTC
Post by Michael Corby
Post by Steve Hayes
Post by Lyn Nunn
Could someone please translate for me what this means in a baptism register.
I haven't had any luck with Google.
Baptised at home?
If a baby was born at home and appeared likely to only survive for a short
time, the priest would be called quickly to baptise the child before it
died. :-(
So are you confirming the correctness of my translation or what?
It is almost certainly a rough and ready Latin translation of the BCP
title for the service - "Private Baptism of Children in Houses", as
distinct from "Publick Baptism of Infants to be Used in the Church".
--
Don Aitken
Mail to the From: address is not read.
To email me, substitute "clara.co.uk" for "freeuk.com"
S***@aol.com
2005-08-14 07:46:47 UTC
In a message dated 13/08/2005 23:42:18 GMT Daylight Time, ***@telstra.com
writes:
Could someone please translate for me what this means in a baptism register.

Baptised at home? i.e. a private baptism.

Regards Stan Mapstone
www.mapstone.org
Patrick Wallace
2005-08-14 08:40:27 UTC
Baptised at home. Dog Latin (there wouldn't normally be a Z)

PJW
in Oz.
Eve McLaughlin
2005-08-15 18:00:49 UTC
Post by Lyn Nunn
Could someone please translate for me what this means in a baptism register.
I haven't had any luck with Google.
baptised at home
You need Simple Latin for FH
--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society
Dennis Ahern
2005-08-24 14:09:13 UTC
Eve McLaughlin <***@varneys.demon.co.uk> wrote:
: In article <vyuLe.82919$***@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, Lyn Nunn
: <***@telstra.com> writes
:>Could someone please translate for me what this means in a baptism register.
:>I haven't had any luck with Google.

: baptised at home
: You need Simple Latin for FH

See: http://www.cimorelli.com/pie/faq/lat_eng.htm
Latin-English Translation of Genealogical Terms

-dja
Tom Morgan
2005-08-28 00:02:17 UTC
Post by Dennis Ahern
:>Could someone please translate for me what this means in a baptism register.
:>I haven't had any luck with Google.
: baptised at home
: You need Simple Latin for FH
I'm willing to be corrected, but I believe it means HE (was/is)baptised at
home. Domi baptisata would be SHE (was/is) baptised at home. No doubt some
clerks didn't make the fine distinction though, or perhaps they were not
aware of it.