Worcester Asylum Records and court records
Spookydel
2007-07-19 22:14:55 UTC
All

I'm looking to find the intake records for Worcester Asylum - known as
The County and City of Worcester Pauper Lunatic Asylum (Powick).

I'm seeking the admission of a Mary Bury, Nee Henley around May 1860,

I know she had an infant at the time, William Henry, who was fostered
out to a local family - and possibly another 2 children, however I
don't have detalis of them at the moment.

Does anyone have any ideas where I can get access to the records of
the hospital? I know some were lost during the passage of time, but
I'm hoping that she falls outside the periods for this.

On a similar fact, I'm also looking for the court records of the son,
William Henry, who was known to have travelled from Wolverhampton to
Birmingham, then on to London, then Dundee. I have details of his
convictions in Dundee, but anyone who can shed light on where I can
find sources for the other areas (as I believe he moved on "under a
cloud" ) it would be much appreciated.

I've done the usual Googling etc to see what I can find, but
unfortunately I'm drawing a blank at the moment, so any steerage would
be useful.

Thanks in advance...

Del
Jeff
2007-07-19 22:44:56 UTC
Post by Spookydel
All
I'm looking to find the intake records for Worcester Asylum - known as
The County and City of Worcester Pauper Lunatic Asylum (Powick).
More recent records are at Worcestershire Record Office, have you
contacted them to ask if they have any knowledge of whereabouts of older
records.
ecunningham
2007-07-19 23:48:51 UTC
Post by Spookydel
On a similar fact, I'm also looking for the court records of the son,
William Henry, who was known to have travelled from Wolverhampton to
Birmingham, then on to London, then Dundee. I have details of his
convictions in Dundee, but anyone who can shed light on where I can
find sources for the other areas (as I believe he moved on "under a
cloud" ) it would be much appreciated.
Del: Is this the WHB covered in the National Archives of Scotland
online catalog for an 1889 event? Reading some of the entries gives
some additional sources for information. My lone file from Justiciary
gives note of previous convictions.
***@att.net
ecunningham
***@att.net
Spookydel
2007-07-23 22:04:03 UTC
Post by ecunningham
Post by Spookydel
On a similar fact, I'm also looking for the court records of the son,
William Henry, who was known to have travelled from Wolverhampton to
Birmingham, then on to London, then Dundee. I have details of his
convictions in Dundee, but anyone who can shed light on where I can
find sources for the other areas (as I believe he moved on "under a
cloud" ) it would be much appreciated.
Del: Is this the WHB covered in the National Archives of Scotland
online catalog for an 1889 event? Reading some of the entries gives
some additional sources for information. My lone file from Justiciary
gives note of previous convictions.
Hiya

Yep, that's the one - sorry it's taken a wee while to get back - I've
been offline.

Anything else would be helpful.

Del
Peter Goodey
2007-07-20 07:01:27 UTC
Post by Spookydel
I'm looking to find the intake records for Worcester Asylum - known as
The County and City of Worcester Pauper Lunatic Asylum (Powick).
Your first port of call in such cases is not Google but the Hospital
Records Database.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/search.asp

There you'll see that clinical and patients records from 1852 are at
Worcestershire Record Office.
--
Family History Research in London & Kent
http://www.goodey.me.uk
Hugh Watkins
2007-07-20 15:06:26 UTC
Post by Spookydel
[...]
A2A is the case
http://www.a2a.org.uk/
not google which does not index the deep web of these databases

use this style of search

worcester AND asylum

453 catalogues were found to match worcester AND asylum

good hunting

Hugh W
--
a wonderful artist in Denmark
http://www.ingerlisekristoffersen.dk/

Beta blogger
http://snaps4.blogspot.com/ photographs and walks

old blogger GENEALOGE
http://hughw36.blogspot.com/ MAIN BLOG
Jeff
2007-07-20 16:32:16 UTC
Post by Hugh Watkins
453 catalogues were found to match worcester AND asylum
good hunting
Hugh W
Almost all of which are irrelevant.

Searching on "Worcester County and City Lunatic Asylum" gives the
relevant hits which are confined to relatively recent records (as far as
patients are concerned) which is why I advised the OP to contact
Worcestershire Record Office to inquire whether older records exist and,
if so, their location.
Peter Goodey
2007-07-20 17:08:17 UTC
Post by Jeff
Searching on "Worcester County and City Lunatic Asylum" gives the
relevant hits which are confined to relatively recent records (as far
as patients are concerned) which is why I advised the OP to contact
Worcestershire Record Office to inquire whether older records exist
and, if so, their location.
If the OP followed my advice to start with the Hospital Records Database
he would already have found his way to the relevant entry in A2A and
know exactly what's available.
--
Family History Research in London & Kent
http://www.goodey.me.uk
Hugh Watkins
2007-07-20 17:33:22 UTC
Post by Peter Goodey
Post by Jeff
Searching on "Worcester County and City Lunatic Asylum" gives the
relevant hits which are confined to relatively recent records (as far
as patients are concerned) which is why I advised the OP to contact
Worcestershire Record Office to inquire whether older records exist
and, if so, their location.
If the OP followed my advice to start with the Hospital Records Database
he would already have found his way to the relevant entry in A2A and
know exactly what's available.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/

compiled by
Wellcome Library for the History and Understanding of Medicine no less

http://library.wellcome.ac.uk/

which I must visit omne day
I have three nineteeth century chemists in my trees
dispensing from 2 grocers shops and a bakery

Hugh W

Spookydel
2007-07-23 22:05:04 UTC
Post by Peter Goodey
Post by Peter Goodey
Post by Jeff
[...]
Thanks for all so far - I'll investigate those avenues.

You're right - I don't necessarly want people to just give me the info
- I quite like the digging around bit!

(oh, and he's a she, but no offence taken :-) )

I'll get me bike...

Del

Hugh Watkins
2007-07-20 17:17:41 UTC
Post by Jeff
Post by Hugh Watkins
453 catalogues were found to match worcester AND asylum
good hunting
Hugh W
Almost all of which are irrelevant.
Searching on "Worcester County and City Lunatic Asylum" gives the
relevant hits which are confined to relatively recent records (as far as
patients are concerned) which is why I advised the OP to contact
Worcestershire Record Office to inquire whether older records exist and,
if so, their location.
you missed the point

I wanted to help the OP leanrn how to find the records for himself in future

You assumed a lunatic asylum but an orphanage cna also be called an asylum

of course all the administrative stuff may be irrelevant to family
history but that is the next step in genealogy
off the net
on your bike and into the archives
and find out how to do original research

Hugh W