Lost London streets
Fred
2005-11-25 15:44:22 UTC
While checking for the poster below I wonder what has happened to the "lost
London streets" website at http://members.aol.com/WHall95037/london.html
Anybody know?
Joe Makowiec
2005-11-25 16:05:08 UTC
The last time http://www.archive.org lists it is November of 2004:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://members.aol.com/WHall95037/london.html
--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Email: http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe
Hugh Watkins
2005-11-25 16:56:07 UTC
Post by Joe Makowiec
Post by Fred
While checking for the poster below I wonder what has happened to
the "lost London streets" website at
http://members.aol.com/WHall95037/london.html Anybody know?
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://members.aol.com/WHall95037/london.html
some of it survives
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://lost-london.inuk.com/

the owner may havev died

I wish more of you would share your stuff on Rootswebm too
beats mortality

Hugh W
S***@aol.com
2005-11-25 16:20:21 UTC
***@somewhere.invalid writes:
While checking for the poster below I wonder what has happened to the "lost
London streets" website at http://members.aol.com/WHall95037/london.html
Anybody know?
From GENUKI
The Lost London Street Index - an index of over 3500 streets that have
undergone a name change or have disappeared altogether over the last 200 years -
was at http://members.aol.com/WHall95037/london.html but (in August 2005) is
not available there.

Regards Stan Mapstone
www.mapstone.org
Pat
2005-11-25 17:05:24 UTC
Post by Fred
While checking for the poster below I wonder what has happened to the
"lost London streets" website at
http://members.aol.com/WHall95037/london.html
Anybody know?
The owner of this site is still wanted by the police in connection with a
scam a few months back where he ran off with the money of many listers. It
is thought he has gone abroad.

Pat
Jim Ward
Pat
Eve McLaughlin
2005-11-25 18:37:47 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by Fred
While checking for the poster below I wonder what has happened to the
"lost London streets" website at
http://members.aol.com/WHall95037/london.html
Anybody know?
The owner of this site is still wanted by the police in connection with a
scam a few months back where he ran off with the money of many listers. It
is thought he has gone abroad.
I think you should be careful - it appeared (or was then said) that
someone else bought the company from a sick man, and it was the someone
else, not the former owner, who started making inroads on the credit
cards of former clients.
--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society
Pat
2005-11-26 18:47:34 UTC
Post by Eve McLaughlin
Post by Pat
Post by Fred
While checking for the poster below I wonder what has happened to the
"lost London streets" website at
http://members.aol.com/WHall95037/london.html
Anybody know?
The owner of this site is still wanted by the police in connection with a
scam a few months back where he ran off with the money of many listers. It
is thought he has gone abroad.
I think you should be careful - it appeared (or was then said) that
someone else bought the company from a sick man, and it was the someone
else, not the former owner, who started making inroads on the credit
cards of former clients.
--
Eve McLaughlin
You are quite wrong there Eve. We are talking about the person who had the
Lost London Streets web site and I didn't even mention the company who took
over the previous genealogical research web site. I know exactly what is and
isn't going on there as I used to deal with the person. I also know from
emails sent out by the police just last month that they are still seeking
the man and he will be prosecuted the moment they find him.

Pat
Fred
So I wonder what has happened to all the useful information ?????
Pat
2005-11-26 12:42:31 UTC
Post by Fred
Post by Fred
While checking for the poster below I wonder what has happened to the
"lost London streets" website at
http://members.aol.com/WHall95037/london.html
Anybody know?
So I wonder what has happened to all the useful information ?????
Well - if you can find him on your next trip to Brazil or Costa del Sol
or wherever I'm sure he'll be happy to pass it on to you! The East Sussex
police will be even happier.

Seriously though it is a nuisance when a good web site disappears. There
was a marvellous one name Wilcox web site which went missing a couple of
years ago, presumably when the owner died and I regretted not taking down
more information from it although I had noted all the wills he had.
Sometimes the relations keep the site going after the owner's death as in
the case of Pearls Pad in NZ but more often than not it is gone.

Pat
Hugh Watkins
2005-11-26 13:10:51 UTC
Post by Pat
Post by Fred
Post by Fred
While checking for the poster below I wonder what has happened to the
"lost London streets" website at
http://members.aol.com/WHall95037/london.html
Anybody know?
So I wonder what has happened to all the useful information ?????
Well - if you can find him on your next trip to Brazil or Costa del Sol
or wherever I'm sure he'll be happy to pass it on to you! The East Sussex
police will be even happier.
Seriously though it is a nuisance when a good web site disappears. There
was a marvellous one name Wilcox web site which went missing a couple of
years ago, presumably when the owner died and I regretted not taking down
more information from it although I had noted all the wills he had.
Sometimes the relations keep the site going after the owner's death as in
the case of Pearls Pad in NZ but more often than not it is gone.
not if on Rootsweb

your site becomes the intellectual property of your heirs
but will only be deleted at their command

hugh W
Peter Goodey
2005-11-26 14:26:15 UTC
Post by Fred
So I wonder what has happened to all the useful information ?????
Bits of it may be archived. Perhaps still on Google.

I haven't checked it fully but at least some of is here

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://members.aol.com/WHall95037/london.html

If you want it, you might want to copy it to your hard discs.
Pat
2005-11-26 15:18:52 UTC
Post by Peter Goodey
Post by Fred
So I wonder what has happened to all the useful information ?????
Bits of it may be archived. Perhaps still on Google.
I haven't checked it fully but at least some of is here
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://members.aol.com/WHall95037/london.html
If you want it, you might want to copy it to your hard discs.
You've made me very happy! They've got most of the Wilcox site in their
archives as well. A job for HTT tracker methinks. But first I will try to
email the man and see what happens..

Pat
Peter Goodey
2005-11-26 16:47:04 UTC
Post by Pat
You've made me very happy!
I knew that bookmark would be useful for something! <g>

Now who's going to volunteer to complete the Lost London Streets job?

If it's true that he's on the run from the police, there shouldn't be any
copyright issues!
Jeff
2005-11-26 17:11:23 UTC
"Peter Goodey" <> Now who's going to volunteer to complete
the Lost London Streets job?
Post by Peter Goodey
If it's true that he's on the run from the police, there
shouldn't be any
copyright issues!
Don't overlook GENDOCS Victorian street index at:

http://www.gendocs.demon.co.uk/lon-str.html
Slarty
2005-11-27 18:40:25 UTC
Post by Jeff
http://www.gendocs.demon.co.uk/lon-str.html
That's an excellent and very large list. But I can spot quite a few streets
there listed with their modern names which are not the same as their
Victorian ones. Someone obviously knows they were around at that period,
but not their old names. Just something to be aware of.

Cheers,

Roy

mickg

copyright issues!
Peter Goodey
2005-11-26 18:38:00 UTC
Post by mickg
It's missing the 'I' page
It was never complete. Perhaps someone else has found it elsewhere?
mickg
2005-11-27 10:59:48 UTC
Post by Peter Goodey
Post by mickg
It's missing the 'I' page
It was never complete. Perhaps someone else has found it elsewhere?
No all other pages connected to web sites. even though S - W had no
street names in them. 'I' gave an html search error stating the page no
longer exists.

MickG
Jeff
2005-11-26 16:24:46 UTC
Post by Fred
While checking for the poster below I wonder what has
happened to the "lost London streets" website at
http://members.aol.com/WHall95037/london.html
Anybody know?
All is not lost.

Go to: http://www.waybackmachine.org/

and enter the URL
http://members.aol.com/WHall95037/london.html

and you can see the site as it was in (say) May 2004