Is soc.genealogy.britain still active
MB
2023-01-26 09:24:57 UTC
Just having a sort out of my newsreader, is soc.genealogy.britain still
active
Graeme Wall
2023-01-26 10:06:34 UTC
Post by MB
Just having a sort out of my newsreader, is soc.genealogy.britain still
active
Not really, occasionally something pops up.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Geoff
2023-01-26 10:23:45 UTC
What are people using now (if anything)?
MB
2023-01-26 10:41:09 UTC
Post by Geoff
What are people using now (if anything)?
Rootsweb might have gone but Ancestry still have a number of message
boards and often had an answer when posted a question about a particular
area.

Rootschat is also still running.

Curious Fox very occasionally turns up something but it is cheap!
Geoff

Thanks! I'll see what Rootschat Has.
Steve Hayes
2023-01-30 04:21:30 UTC
On Thu, 26 Jan 2023 10:23:45 -0000 (UTC), "Geoff"
Post by Geoff
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by MB
Just having a sort out of my newsreader, is soc.genealogy.britain
still active
Not really, occasionally something pops up.
What are people using now (if anything)?
There are several mailing lists, many of them hosted by groups.io
following the demise of YahooGroups.
--
Steve Hayes
Web: http://hayesgreene.wordpress.com/
MB
2023-01-30 12:56:40 UTC
Post by Steve Hayes
There are several mailing lists, many of them hosted by groups.io
following the demise of YahooGroups.
I forgot by groups.io, as you write there are many lists there, many
nothing to do with family history.

For more serious subjects JISCMAIL can be useful, a couple of lists
there have got me answers from very well placed people.
Steve Hayes
2023-01-31 05:48:39 UTC
Post by MB
Post by Steve Hayes
There are several mailing lists, many of them hosted by groups.io
following the demise of YahooGroups.
I forgot by groups.io, as you write there are many lists there, many
nothing to do with family history.
Indeed, it's a public listserve, so just as many newsgroups on Usenet
have nothing to do with family history, so many mailing lists don't
either, but I was referring to the many that DO have to do with family
history, and if you don't like any of them, you can start your own.
MB
2023-01-26 10:36:46 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Not really, occasionally something pops up.
Thanks, there are a few like that!

I lost my Thunderbird settings and had to reload.
Charles Ellson
2023-02-22 11:30:54 UTC
Occasionally.
Steve Hayes
2023-03-14 10:16:36 UTC
On Wed, 22 Feb 2023 11:30:54 +0000, Charles Ellson
Post by Charles Ellson
Post by MB
Just having a sort out of my newsreader, is soc.genealogy.britain still
active
Occasionally.
But it seems to have stopped being active right after the question was
asked.
Charles Ellson
2023-03-15 00:37:50 UTC
Post by Charles Ellson
Post by MB
Just having a sort out of my newsreader, is soc.genealogy.britain still
active
Occasionally.
But it seems to have stopped being active right after the question was
asked.
It definitely hasn't been a hive of activity for some time.