Levy Blocksidge 1880 US Census born England in 1832...more info
Wee Peem
2006-10-21 22:46:02 UTC
Hello.
I am trying to trace where and when Levi was born, and other info.
Seems a rather odd christianname for the 1830's

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Sharon
2006-10-21 23:09:29 UTC
Levi is a Biblical name. One of the sons of Jacob. There are plenty of Biblical names out there from 1830s England.

Sharon

Charani
2006-10-22 11:51:21 UTC
Post by Wee Peem
Hello.
I am trying to trace where and when Levi was born, and other info.
Seems a rather odd christianname for the 1830's
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
With just England to go on, it will be extremely difficult to identify
him.

Do you know when he arrived in America? Have you checked any of the
English/Welsh censuses?

Apart from being a biblical name as Sharon has pointed out, Levi was
popular in Jewish families.
--
Genealogy: is it a thing of the past??
http://www.spiritisup.com/colors1.swf
Jeff
2006-10-22 13:41:27 UTC
Post by Charani
Post by Wee Peem
Hello.
I am trying to trace where and when Levi was born, and other info.
Seems a rather odd christianname for the 1830's
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
With just England to go on, it will be extremely difficult to identify
him.
Do you know when he arrived in America? Have you checked any of the
English/Welsh censuses?
Apart from being a biblical name as Sharon has pointed out, Levi was
popular in Jewish families.
I did check the 1841/51 English Census on Ancestry but couldn't find him.

But I stress this was a quick look and I didn't try a lot of possible
name variations.
Wee Peem
2006-10-22 14:46:40 UTC
Post by Charani
Post by Wee Peem
Hello.
I am trying to trace where and when Levi was born, and other info.
Seems a rather odd christianname for the 1830's
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
With just England to go on, it will be extremely difficult to identify
him.
Do you know when he arrived in America? Have you checked any of the
English/Welsh censuses?
Not sure when he arrived. He was in USA at time of 1880 census. Hence how I
found him.
That lists his parents as both being from England.

As the Blocksidge name is not very popular compared to other names, Most
Blocksidge's appear from around Shropshire....Madeley and Dawley in
particular.

Are there any websites that list passenger lislt for ships??
Charani
2006-10-22 15:34:57 UTC
Post by Wee Peem
Not sure when he arrived. He was in USA at time of 1880 census. Hence how I
found him.
That lists his parents as both being from England.
As is the wont of the US censuses.

I've had a quick scoot through the 1841,1861 and 1871 indices on
www.1837online.com but there was no Levi Blocksidge listed.

Have you had a look on the 1850, 1860 and 1870 US censuses or the
1900? The 1890 US census was destroyed.

Some of the US censuses gave the year of immigration or length of
residence. That might help. The year of immigration isn't
necessarily the year of emigration from England though. He and his
family might have gone to Canada first and entered the US from there.

Have you checked to see if he was naturalised? If he was that will
give you the date he arrived in the US.

Did he serve in the US army at all? If so, his army papers could hold
a wealth of useful information.

Try asking on alt.genealogy if anyone has any information about Levi
in other censuses. There are a lot of helpful, friendly Americans in
that group.
Post by Wee Peem
As the Blocksidge name is not very popular compared to other names, Most
Blocksidge's appear from around Shropshire....Madeley and Dawley in
particular.
Are there any websites that list passenger lislt for ships??
You could try www.ellisislandrecords.org or www.castlegarden.org both
of which are good for New York as the point of entry but not for
elsewhere.
Mary Lou McLaren
2006-10-23 21:54:29 UTC
Post by Wee Peem
found him.
That lists his parents as both being from England.
Hi.....I've had a look at the 1850, 1860, 1870 & 1900 census for the U.S.
and the only one I could find him was in 1870:

Warenborough, Warren County, Pennsylvania

Levi Blocksidge - Machinist
Ellen Blocksidge - Wife - b. Maryland - age 35
Ellen Blocksidge - daughter b. Maryland - age 18
Isabella Blocksidge - daughter b. Mayland - age 15
Emily Blocksidge - daughter b. Pennsylvania - age 5
Charles Blocksidge - son b. Pennsylvania - age 8
Rufus Blocksidge - son b. Pennsylvania - age 2

The ages of the children *may* sugges that Ellen was his second wife.

I looked everywhere in the previous census which should have found him in
Maryland....to no avail.

Perhaps you may want to check out the usgenweb site for Maryland to see if
you can find his marriage to Ellen:

http://www.mdgenweb.org/

mary lou sun valley, id usa

trip!
http://www.imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/yahoo/default.aspx?locale=en-us&hmtagline
Mary Lou McLaren
2006-10-23 20:59:25 UTC
Post by Wee Peem
Are there any websites that list passenger lislt for ships??
www.elllisislandrecords.org

www.castlegarden.org

mary lou