Southend photographer 1920-25
BrianF
2007-10-27 17:30:46 UTC
I have a studio photo of my grandmother which is embossed with the name of
the photographer. The last name is certainly Clarke but that is preceded by
another name that is illegible. Does anyone here have a copy of Kelly's for
Southend-on-Sea in that period of can anyone suggest another source of such
information - perhaps on line as I am not in the UK. This is only needed for
archive purposes and is not a part of the family research.

Thanks,

brianf
c***@proemail.co.uk
2007-10-27 19:58:55 UTC
Post by BrianF
I have a studio photo of my grandmother which is embossed with the name of
the photographer. The last name is certainly Clarke but that is preceded by
another name that is illegible. Does anyone here have a copy of Kelly's for
Southend-on-Sea in that period of can anyone suggest another source of such
information - perhaps on line as I am not in the UK. This is only needed for
archive purposes and is not a part of the family research.
Thanks,
brianf
A search for "Clarke photographer" (sans quotes) on Essex Archives:
http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/login.asp finds a Margaret Clarke of
Clarence Street, Southend in 1935. Could that be it?

Failing that, the photographers in Southend in Kelly's 1914 Essex
directory at http://www.historicaldirectories.org/ are: W Tyler Evans,
Harry Footring, Louis Gilbert, William Russel Glanville, Henry Walter
Graydon (coincidentally at 2 Clarence _Road_, if that's the same
place), Henry O Klein, Frank Lindsay, John Manning, Eugene Mason,
Robert Sayers, Alfred Laister Shepherd, Joseph Stanley, Mary Williams,
Morris Benjamin Woolf, and F Barrington Wright. Perhaps one of them
gained a partner by the 1920s.

Chris
BrianF
2007-10-28 09:40:47 UTC
Post by c***@proemail.co.uk
Post by BrianF
[...]
Many thanks, Chris. Margaret Clarke is indeed the name. Amazing how clear it
is now that I know.

brianf
a***@gmail.com
2017-06-05 19:29:36 UTC
Post by c***@proemail.co.uk
Post by BrianF
[...]
I have a picture that has F.Barrington Wright active in Southbourne Dorset but no date. not sure how old he would have been at that time... any idea?