My Mother Mrs. Dolina Pratt nee Murray
Derick McLaughlin
2003-09-20 03:47:43 UTC
Dear Expert Geneologists,
Greetings from London On. N6H 1K9

I wish to research my family history commencing with my Mother,
dob. 28th.December, 1916.

Can you suggest if there is a British [or Scottish, e.g.
Edinburgh], Govt. Census website or search engine by which I can achieve
this task fairly efficiently.

Would appreciate your advice in this matter,
Yours
truly,

Deanna Pratt
___________________
Lesley Robertson
2003-09-20 09:59:46 UTC
Post by Derick McLaughlin
I wish to research my family history commencing with my Mother,
dob. 28th.December, 1916.
Can you suggest if there is a British [or Scottish, e.g.
Edinburgh], Govt. Census website or search engine by which I can achieve
this task fairly efficiently.
if she was born in Scotland, her birth certificate will be in Edinburgh. The
birth records have to be 100 years old to be on line here
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ but you can get a copy of her birth
certificate by post from GROS http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/ . You will
need to give them her full name and date of birth. On her birth cert you
will get the names of her parents, among other information. Once you have
your grandmother's maiden name, you can do an on line search at Scotland's
people for their wedding certificate. This will give you their ages, and the
names of their parents. You can then search the 1901 census (same site) for
these families (and so on). On the front page of Scotland's People, bottom
right, is a good Getting Started guide.
Be warned - this isn't a hobby, it's an addiction!
Lesley Robertson
CWatters
2003-09-21 11:44:06 UTC
These sites may also be worth knowing about if you are beginning...

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/default.asp
http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/ (Not Scotland)
http://www.censusfinder.com/england.htm
http://www.censusfinder.com/scotland.htm