Australian Service Records
Hedley Hunnisett
2005-12-09 21:05:04 UTC
Recently someone posted a couple of URLs for WW1 and WW2 service
records for Australia. I successfully downloaded the World War 2
Nominal Roll for the surname I was researching, but the WW1 site
would not let me in.

Due to a 'senior moment' I have managed to delete the copy of the
message with these two URLs which I had carefully saved and in spite
of searching back through the last 25 or so message downloads it
still eludes me.

Can anyone help please, as I wanted to thank the original poster
and would like to go back to the WW2 site.
--
Hedley Hunnisett of Wigston Magna, Leicestershire.
Researching HUNNISETT/HONEYSETT(any) * HIGHWOOD(any) * FULLAGAR(any)
* MARCHANT(SSX) * HARRIS(SSX) * STRANGE(GLS) * TUTT(SSX)
Lyn Nunn
2005-12-10 09:34:12 UTC
was it this one?

http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/

WW1 here

http://www.aif.adfa.edu.au:8080/index.html

both are here

http://www.awm.gov.au/database/nroll.asp

regards

Lyn
in Oz.
MargM
2005-12-10 21:20:07 UTC
Post by Hedley Hunnisett
of searching back through the last 25 or so message
downloads it still eludes me.
Can anyone help please, as I wanted to thank the
original poster
and would like to go back to the WW2 site.
Hi Hedley

Another useful very useful data base is the National
Archives of Australia's Record Search

http://www.naa.gov.au/the_collection/recordsearch.html

A great many WW1 & WW2 service dossiers have been
digitised
and you can view these via the NAA A great many other
records are indexed too

HTH

Bye
--
MargM
Beautiful Central Coast of NSW
Australia
Hugh Watkins
2005-12-10 23:37:26 UTC
Post by Hedley Hunnisett
Recently someone posted a couple of URLs for WW1 and WW2 service
records for Australia. I successfully downloaded the World War 2
Nominal Roll for the surname I was researching, but the WW1 site
would not let me in.
Due to a 'senior moment' I have managed to delete the copy of the
message with these two URLs which I had carefully saved and in spite
of searching back through the last 25 or so message downloads it
still eludes me.
Can anyone help please, as I wanted to thank the original poster
and would like to go back to the WW2 site.
there are two archioves
rootsweb

and http://groups.google.com/group/soc.genealogy.britain?lnk=li
with 82090 messages

and
http://groups.google.com/group/soc.genealogy.australia+nz?lnk=sg

with 79484 message
Post by Hedley Hunnisett
A number of listers may not be familiar with in the Australian War
Memorial
site at:

http://www.awm.gov.au/

which now has the 1st AIF Nominal Roll online as well as the Boer War
Nominal Roll and lots more. WW1 service records can be ordered online at:

http://www.naa.gov.au/forms/ww1dossier.html
<<

HughW
Janette Mclennan
2005-12-21 08:15:41 UTC
you can request the documents relating to your query to be placed online so
you can access the copies. Go to the National Archives of Australia site
and do a search for your relatives name - first world war is easier than
second i think because of privacy laws etc.
Janette
Robert G. Eldridge
2005-12-21 23:37:48 UTC
On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 08:15:41 GMT, "Janette Mclennan"
Post by Janette Mclennan
you can request the documents relating to your query to be placed online so
you can access the copies. Go to the National Archives of Australia site
and do a search for your relatives name - first world war is easier than
second i think because of privacy laws etc.
Janette
The first World War is easier because the records are marked open and
are in Canberra as unless the records are in Canberra you can't
request an on-line copy.

Many of the Second World War records are yet to be classified (ie not
marked as open) or are not in Canberra, ruling out on-line copies, as
distinct from privace laws as such.
--
Robert G. Eldridge Toronto NSW Australia
http://www2.hunterlink.net.au/~ddrge/
1000's at my Web site * Wanted * Any Eldridge related information
Susie Zada
2005-12-24 00:30:53 UTC
Hi Robert,

A small correction here based on first hand experience ...
Post by Robert G. Eldridge
On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 08:15:41 GMT, "Janette Mclennan"
Many of the Second World War records are yet to be classified (ie not
marked as open) or are not in Canberra, ruling out on-line copies, as
distinct from privace laws as such.
I have requested on-line copies of WWII service records that were "not
open" - the request takes longer than normal as they have to view and
classify them but I have since received digital copies of those records.

Regards ........... Susie Z
cecilia
That has been my experience as well.
Anne Heafield

cecilia
2005-12-24 21:38:45 UTC
Post by Anne Heafield
Post by cecilia
Post by Susie Zada
I have requested on-line copies of WWII service records that were "not
open" - the request takes longer than normal as they have to view and
classify them but I have since received digital copies of those records.
That has been my experience as well.
and mine, receiving my mother's records in the mail, while they were
classified as 'unopened'
When that happened to me (as a result of my putting in the wrong
request) they were displayed as open very shortly afterwards - I
assumed that the change in status took time to be included in the
database.