Boyds Marriage Index
Geoff
2024-03-31 11:17:48 UTC
I don't normally ask for favours as I don't consider it fair to use
other peolples resources but I have one ancestor that I cannot locate
on Ancestry. He appears on Find my Past but as I am already paying a
fortune for Ancestry, I can't afford to pay for FMP as well for just
one look-up. If anyone can help, I would be truly grateful.

Does anyone have access to Boyds Marriage Index?
There is a record of an Andrew Hastings being married in 1678 but who
was he married to and where in Norfolk did it take place. I cannot
find it in any other source, neither can find any other access to Boyds
Marriage Index online.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Geoff.
Chris Pitt Lewis
2024-03-31 15:58:30 UTC
Post by Geoff
I don't normally ask for favours as I don't consider it fair to use
other peolples resources but I have one ancestor that I cannot locate
on Ancestry. He appears on Find my Past but as I am already paying a
fortune for Ancestry, I can't afford to pay for FMP as well for just
one look-up. If anyone can help, I would be truly grateful.
Does anyone have access to Boyds Marriage Index?
There is a record of an Andrew Hastings being married in 1678 but who
was he married to and where in Norfolk did it take place. I cannot
find it in any other source, neither can find any other access to Boyds
Marriage Index online.
Any information would be much appreciated.
Geoff.
Boyd says "Andr Hastings and Margaret Tanton, 1678, Horning".

HOWEVER, Horning is one of the Norfolk PRs also in FMP, and that is not
what the register says. FMP has transcribed his surname as HAGTON, but I
don't think that is right either. It might be Hastow or Hastons, but I
am not sure about the first s.

The entry says:
"mar. Andrew Hastons[?] of Heigham Singleman and Margaret Taunton of
Horning Single woman were maried Januar: 13 1678" [i.e. 1678/9]
I wonder if what Boyd used was the Bishops Transcript rather than the
register, and if that says "Hasings"? Particularly given the additional
discrepancy in the spelling of the bride's name.
Chris Pitt Lewis
Geoff
2024-03-31 16:35:40 UTC
Post by Chris Pitt Lewis
Post by Geoff
[...]
Thank you for this. It is exactly what I needed. I have Hastings spelt
various ways, including Hastons and Hastens, depending on the literacy
of the parish vicar and sometimes the transcriber!! Heigham is quite
close to Horning so that fits as well.

Once again, Many thanks.

Geoff.